Thursday, August 5, 2010

Homemade BBQ Sauce

I made this BBQ Sauce the week before Father's Day, it took a while, but it was well worth it! My hubby taste-tested it and thought it was good. It was even better after sitting in the fridge overnight. We made BBQ chicken, and it was awesome!

We used it on Pork Chops for Father's Day dinner. Yum!






Classic Barbecue Sauce (from Annie's Eats)

Ingredients:
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
3 cups yellow onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
1 tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. ground coriander (I omitted as I didn't have any)
¼ tsp. ground cumin
2-3 tbsp. honey
1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed (I used light brown sugar because it was handy)
2 (28 oz.) cans diced tomatoes (Annie suggests fire-roasted, but I couldn't find any)
¾ cup cider vinegar¼ cup white vinegar
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2-3 tsp. black pepper
½-2 cups water
Directions:
In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Mix in 1 teaspoon of the kosher salt, the chili powder, coriander and cumin. Stir in the honey, molasses and dark brown sugar. Mix well and boil for about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cider vinegar. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer on medium-low heat for 2-3 hours until the sauce has thickened and darkened. (I simmered mine for ~2.5 hours.)

Stir in the white vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste (up to about 1 tablespoon of each). Add the mixture to a blender or food processor. (I had to blend in two batches because it was so much) Add in about ½ cup water to start and process the mixture until smooth. Blend in more water if desired until the sauce has reached your desired thickness/consistency.

Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.


I had about 7 cups of BBQ Sauce when I was done. I divvied it up in to 1.5 cup containers and froze them.

No comments:

Post a Comment