Friday, March 19, 2010

Pattern Review - Fresh Fish

I recently purchased a pattern for a fish stuffy from MimiKirchner's Etsy shop.  I finally completed my first one and thought I'd share with you my thoughts on the pattern.

1) This is not a beginners sewing project, but I am not a beginner.  I struggled with the pattern.  I read the directions twice before I even chose fabrics to make the fist from.
2) Pattern was not cheap.
3) Pattern did not include seam allowances, pattern must be traced and then sewn on the traced lines.  I found this very hard, although it shouldn't really have been.
4) She gave great tips on working with both recycled materials and stretchy materials. I was lazy and used quilters cotton for the most part, although I did recycle an old shirt into the body of the fish. Using the quilters cotton for the fins actually made them more difficult because I had to sew more curved seams to get the ruffled fin look.

All this being said, I am very happy with my fish, I gave it to my husband as a birthday present and he thought it was cool.  Because the pattern was not cheap...I'll be making lots more, so I don't feel so guilty about the price!

No comments:

Post a Comment