Thursday, January 6, 2011

I made...er...bread!

I love reading food blogs in addition to the craft blogs that I also love. I find a lot of recipes that way. Its great, someone else tests and posts them and then I read about it and think YUM! That's what I thought when I read this post at Branny Boils Over. I've made a couple of other things Branny has posted, like this Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie - which was excellent! So when I saw her post about Oatmeal Whole Wheat Bread, I wanted to try it. I make a mean Banana Bread, why can't I make real bread - right?? right?? um, wrong!

Here's my bread...I know, it looks like a turd. I sent this picture to my husband, he didn't have anything to say about my bread. When I asked him about it later, he said, "I can't say what it looks like." To which I replied, "I know it looks like a turd."

But, the good news is that it tastes good. The biggest problem that I had with the bread was that it didn't rise. at all, not even a little bit. I finally took it out of the loaf pans (which were only about 1/2 full) and dropped it on this cookie sheet. I had 2 "loaves" of VERY VERY dry bread dough.

I realized after the fact that I made a couple of mistakes with this bread - 1) I used the regular yeast instead of quickrising yeast. and 2) I shorted myself on the butter. I read the recipe directly off my computer and so I must have read part of one line and part of another and thought I only needed 2 TBS of butter...I needed 1/4 cup. oops.

I have another batch rising at home (I ran out of time last night) and it did actually rise. I'm not sure it rose quite as much as it's supposed to. Guess I'll find out. I used the correct yeast this time, but again I shorted myself on the butter. I almost left it out entirely. I also didn't put quite as much flour in as the recipe called for. I added the flour 1/2 to 1 cup at a time and got in about 4 cups of the whole wheat flour and about 1/4 cup of the regular flour. I stopped adding flour when my dough was smooth and no longer sticky. I wanted to make sure that I didn't end up with dry dough again. So I shall report back after I bake tonight and let you know my final grade on this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment