Friday, February 19, 2010

Lent and Charity Projects

I'm not big on giving things up for lent, so instead I decided that I would work on giving things AWAY! In my normal blog reading I found several great opportunities to make and donate items to various charities.

Here are a few of my favorites - with patterns!

Mother Bear Project - accepts donations of knitted and crocheted teddy bears and then sends those bears to children in emerging nations with HIV/Aids. These bears help provide comfort, hope and most of all convey LOVE to these kids.

1 Million Pillowcase Challenge - from AllPeopleQuilt. APC is challenging sewers and quilters to make and donate 1 million pillowcases in 2010. Pillowcases can be donated to the charity of your choice, some suggestions include the Ronald McDonald house, local children's hospitals and more. A larger list is on their website. They also have 4 pillowcase patterns that are simple, most will take you less than an hour to complete!

Dolly Donations - collecting dollies made from scrap material and donating them to Orphans in Haiti. Pattern is on the blog. Can't wait to try one of these, they are VERY cute!

For my first donation project, I'm actually working on a weighted vest for the special education program I work for. I'm working up a tutorial, so look for that post later this weekend!

I'm testing out the pillowcase pattern as well, so far so good, except for pattern reader error (that's me). I forgot to make one of the cuts, fortunately it's only affected me by 1/2 an inch, which will be easily fixed! I've got lots of stash fabric to make pillowcases! My biggest problem seems to be finding coordinating fabrics in my stash - might have to do some shopping!

I think after the vest and a pillowcase or two, I'll move on to something knitted. I'm going on a retreat next weekend, where I'll need something on needles!

If anyone has any other charity projects they'd like to share, I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment